First Day for new Year 7
3rd September 2015
There were lots of smiling faces as 151 Year 7 pupils, all immaculated turned out, were welcomed on their first day at St Richard Reynolds by Principal Mr Burke in the College Hall before they were allocated to their tutor groups and met their teachers and support staff and made their way to their classrooms in the newly refurbished Corpus Christi block. They will be joined tomorrow by Years 8 and 9 at a special votive Mass of the Feast of our patron, St Richard Reynolds. The whole College community wishes our third cohort of pupils every success and happiness as they begin the next chapter of their education.
Staff Mass in our new chapel
1st September 2015
Governor Monsignor William Saunders this morning blessed our new chapel in the newly refurbished Corpus Christi building before celebrating a votive Mass of the Feast of Pope St Gregory the Great, the patron saint of teachers, for staff. Staff have been working over the summer holidays to make sure everything is ready for the new academic year but this was the first time all staff were gathered together and the Mass was a fitting way to mark the beginning of a new term. The chapel will host class masses throughout the year as well as providing a place for personal prayer and reflection for staff and pupils. The chapel was completed only hours before the Mass began and the paint was still wet in places! The College needs to buy a number of items for the chapel including a tabernacle and candlesticks. If you would like to make a donation towards the cost, please contact the College office.
Building our future
19th August 2015
St Richard Reynolds has been a hive of activity of the summer holidays. The Edwardian building refurbishment is nearing completion and the changes to the Haile block are well advanced. Site Manager, John, is confident that everything will be ready for the start of term on 3rd September when our new Year 7 pupils arrive. Many of our staff are already back and hard at work preparing the College for the new term. Pictured above (l-r) is one of the refurbished classrooms, our new food technology room and one of the fabulous new art rooms. This is stage two of the development of the College site. Further refurbishment and the building of a new teaching block will begin next year.
600 years at Syon
19th July 2014
An ecumenical celebration of the 600th Anniversary of the foundation of Syon Abbey of the Order of the Most Holy Saviour (the Bridgettines) was hosted by the Duke of Northumberland and led by HE Vincent, Cardinal Nichols at Syon House. The Abbey was founded at Twickenham not far from St Richard Reynolds Catholic College in 1415 by Henry V before moving to the site of the current Syon House in 1431. The event was organised jointly by Syon Park, Our Lady of Sorrows and St Bridget Catholic Church and All Saints Church parish, Isleworth. Four SRR pupils Nelly Kobrzynska, Oscar Malone, Liam Glesson and Joely Ahern met the Cardinal before presenting a copy of the College's painting of St Richard Reynolds to the manager of Syon House (see picture with Mr Cole and Mr Burke above) Richard Reynolds entered Syon Abbey in 1513 before being martyred at Tyburn in 1535. Part of his body was laid at the doors of the monastery which was destroyed on the orders of Thomas Cromwell. Among the guests were The Mayor and Consort of Hounslow.
SRR at the Vatican
15th July 2015
40 Y8 pupils and four staff rendezvoused at 7 am with governor Andrew Cole at the Piazza of St Peter's Basilica in the Vatican City who led them to the altar of the tomb of St Peter in the crypt beneath the high altar. Governor Canon Peter Newby celebrated a votive mass of the Feast of St Richard Reynolds with pupils delivering the readings and prayers. It was a very special and sacred occasion. After a brief tour of the basilica, the group assembled in the piazza for a much-needed drink (it was 38 degrees by 9:30!) and a snack before walking to the Alma Mater of Canon Newby, the Venerable English College where Vice Rector Father Mark Harold greeted them. Father Mark gave a short talk on the history of the English College and explained that the origins of the College date back 650 years and is the oldest piece of England outside of England. The pupils toured the two beautiful chapels in the College and learnt about the 41 English College priests martyred after the English Reformation. As a special treat, Father Mark allowed the group to cool their feet in the swimming pool of the seminary garden. Sadly the SRR group was not able to visit the chapel of St Richard Reynolds around the corner in Piazza Farnese as it was closed. Next stop was the Pantheon (the breathtaking 2nd century church which, after nearly two thousand years, remains the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome) but not before walking through the 1st century Piazza Navona. Canon Newby explained that the square was built on the Stadium of Domitian. He pointed out the famous Fountain of the Four Rivers (1651) by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and the Obelisk of Domitian relocated from the Circus of Maxentius. After a well-earned ice cream break at Giolitti - the best gelateria in Rome (if not the world!), the morning concluded at the Pantheon where Canon Newby and Andrew Cole left the group and commented how very well behaved the children were despite a very hot and packed morning. The day concluded for the group with a visit to the Collesium.