English is one of the core subjects in our curriculum. At St Richard Reynolds we wish to develop in our children a love of language both written and spoken that will go with them into adulthood. We believe a high standard of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills will place our children at an advantage in their wider curriculum studies.
We aim to:
- Provide a safe caring environment in which all children feel encouraged to speak and listen as appropriate.
- Plan opportunities for children to produce a range of written work developing skills across a variety of genres, e.g. – narrative, information and poetry.
- Correct spelling and grammar in a sensitive and constructive manner.
- Encourage children to develop a clear and legible handwriting style through using The Letter-join Scheme. Cursive script is introduced towards the end of Year 1.
- Nurture in each child a love of books and reading and develop a growing ability to read fluently, confidently and with understanding.