We are proud that our college has a specialism in Music and we believe music is vital in bringing together intellect and feeling, and enabling personal expression and emotional development. Music permeates the life of the College; pupils participate in Masses, weekly singing assemblies, concerts and trips, and there is a thriving co-curricular programme. The Music curriculum itself is engaging and practical, providing every student with the skills and knowledge to be the very best musician. Pupils develop piano, guitar and vocal technique, study music theory and develop their understanding of many different musical styles.
The College boasts numerous ensembles, an exciting concert schedule and opportunities for students to work with professional musicians to improve their musicianship. Parents are also invited to be part of the musical community through joining our Sing Out! Choir for parents and friends.
Here are some highlights from musical activities at SRRCC;
- SRRCC is proud to have five choirs: Schola Cantorum, Chamber Choir, Gospel Choir, Contemporary Choir and A Cappella Group
- We also have an orchestra which all instrumentalists are encouraged to join to build their skills in ensemble playing
- To support our contemporary focussed musicians, we have a jazz/blues band and regular gig nights
- The Piano Scholars Programme offers extra development and performance opportunities to three of our most advanced pianists at the school (one from primary and two from secondary)
- We have a busy and varied concert schedule throughout the year, which includes termly concerts, gig nights, regular recitals for particular instruments and external performances. Our Chamber Choir have sung Handel’s Messiah twice at the Royal Albert Hall and our pupils represent our Music Department at Christmas events at Hampton Court Palace and John Lewis in Kingston
- Our Composition Competition supports our young composers across different genres of music, encouraging creativity and self-expression and celebrating our best musical writers. Judged by a professional composer, it also gives students the opportunity to gain important feedback from an external professional in the field. We regularly invite professional musicians to join our activities at SRRCC so that our students can learn from their expertise and be inspired by their work. We have had professionals perform lunch time concerts for the pupils, accompany concerts and conduct workshops in school
- Our Music Theory classes, for beginner and advanced theory, run weekly to ensure that pupils can develop their theory skills throughout their growth as musicians. Exam coaching for practical exams is offered at the school for any pupil taking an exam to gain extra feedback
- Our concerts regularly involve pupils from other primary schools, who we hope to inspire through working with our older students and we build important musical connections and experiences for all our young musicians
- We offer regular opportunities for pupils to experience music-making out in the field too, with regular trips to performances, workshops and rehearsals, averaging at around 10 trips a year!
At St Richard Reynolds we are very proud of our music specialism, led by our Subject Leader for Music Miss Firman.
Please click on the following link to find out more and to see how you can get involved.